New year, same mission for School Swimathon: inspire 16,000 pupils to ‘Swim their Best’!
Created by The Swimathon Foundation, the charity behind Swimathon, the world’s largest annual fundraising swim, and Swim England, the national governing body for swimming in England, School Swimathon is setting the challenge to pupils all across the country to get the most from their school swimming lessons and swim further than they ever have before in 2018.
The program runs throughout the school Spring term, with pupils of all abilities setting their initial distance in their first swim, with teachers recording their pupil distances through the School Swimathon website in January. With the support of School Swimathon and the guidance of their national curriculum swimming lessons, students then begin their journey to ‘Swim their Best’ and record their final distance in April.
See some stats from School Swimathon 2017 below:
- 81% of pupils swam the furthest they have ever swum before
- 3,558 pupils unable to swim 25m pre-event achieved that distance post campaign
“Swimming and water safety are essential life skills, which is why they are part of the national curriculum. School Swimathon is a great way to celebrate learning to swim at school in a fun and exciting way.” - Jon Glenn, Swim England Learn to Swim Director
To find out more about the School Swimathon 2018 event, please visit Schoolswimathon.org
For all press enquiries, please contact Limelight Sports on 0845 680 8116 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes to editors
- School Swimathon is a swimming programme for school children, encouraging them to improve technique and water confidence, culminating in a challenge to swim further than ever before.
- The Swimathon Foundation and Swim England have joined forces to help pupils across the country to ‘Swim their Best’ in the School Swimathon. Participating schools will use their national curriculum weekly swim sessions throughout the 2018 spring term to improve pupils' swimming ability.
- The programme is open to all school children, both primary and secondary, who are receiving school swimming lessons during the spring term 2018.
The Swimathon Foundation
- The Swimathon Foundation, a company limited by guarantee, is the independent registered charity, which owns the annual national Swimathon event (charity number 1123870).
- The Swimathon Foundation was formed in 2001 to guarantee the long-term future of the Swimathon event.
- The Swimathon Foundation is the legal rights owner of the Swimathon event and as such is responsible for not only the staging of the Swimathon but also the management and distribution of the funds raised by the event's participants.
- The Swimathon Foundation Trustees select the Swimathon's principal charity partner, which receives the majority of the fundraising income, as well as awarding grants to local organisations whose projects help promote swimming in their communities.
- The Swimathon Foundation provides grants of between £300 and £2,500 to organisations including swimming pools, operators, clubs, community organisations and charities that can demonstrate how funding will allow them to help more people participate in and enjoy swimming and to make swimming more accessible.
- For further information, visit the Swimathon Foundation website at: www.swimathonfoundation.org. This website provides information about how to apply for a grant.
- Swim England is the national governing body for swimming in England. It helps people learn how to swim, enjoy the water safely, and compete in all aquatic sports.
- Swim England’s vision is of a nation swimming and it strives to inspire everyone to enjoy the water in the way that suits them. Each month millions of people are able to enjoy swimming, diving, water polo and synchronised swimming, having been through the Swim England Learn to Swim Programme.
- Swim England also supports its members, clubs and athletes, and runs qualification and education programmes to develop the workforce. For more information visit swimming.org/swimengland